The attorneys on the health care team at the Corneille Law Group offer a broad range of legal services to our health care clients.
Malpractice and Negligence Defense
We know that when someone accuses a health care provider of providing “negligent care”, it is a very difficult, stressful and personal experience. We believe that an aggressive defense is needed not only protect against monetary claims but also to stand up for our client’s reputation and professional image. We vigorously defend health care providers and organizations at all stages of litigation including against claims of:
- Medical Malpractice
- Informed Consent
- Contracts for Care / “Promised” Outcomes
- Allegations of patient abuse
- Claims of violation of civil rights
- We have experience defending clients from across all areas of health care, including: office and clinic practice, hospital services, primary care physicians and specialists, outpatient surgery centers, urgent care and emergency services, chiropractic care, dental care, rehabilitative therapies, nursing home and residential care, and mental health services.
- We have defended health care professionals across the full spectrum of medicine, including: physicians, nurses, physician’s assistants, nurse practitioners, CNAs, technologists, therapists, social workers and all related staff.
- We have litigated cases in a wide variety of medical settings, including: in-patient hospital care, clinic care, urgent care and emergency visits, nursing home and residential care and correctional health care services.
General Litigation for Health Care Clients
We recognize that health care providers and organizations face litigation in many areas beyond claims of professional malpractice. The attorneys of the Corneille Law Group have defended health care clients against civil litigation in areas that include:
- Premises Liability (including allegations of on-premises injury)
- Negligent Hiring, Training and Supervision
- Security Staff Liability (including claims of Assault and Battery, False Imprisonment, Discrimination)
- Drug and Medical Device Defense
- Fraud, False Advertising, Breach of Contract
Physician and Medical Staff Matters
We have advised and represented health care clients in a number of areas relating to medical staff membership, staff disputes and the provision of medical services. We are able to represent and advise clients in areas including:
- Credentialing and re-credentialing of medical staff
- Medical staff by-laws and meetings
- Applications for privileges
- Drafting and developing policies when offering new privileges or medical services to patients
- Participating in due process hearings and representation regarding denial of privileges, and discipline or termination from medical staff membership
Professional Licensing, Discipline and Compliance
The Corneille Law Group assists our health care clients, both individual providers and organizations, in proceedings including:
- Representing clients at all stages of state and federal licensing and certification proceedings
- Responding to licensing investigation inquiries with response letters to resolve matters before a complaint is even filed
- Representing clients before administrative law judges and other professional regulatory boards
- Assisting clients with proceedings before professional organizations including peer review, membership status and fee arbitration programs
- Review of state or federal survey results and advise on compliance, plans of correction and changes to organizational structures and practices
Working with General Counsel
Over the years we have handled hundreds of cases that perhaps could have been avoided if health care providers had better internal policies and organization. Based upon the experience in litigation we have obtained, we can assist you in the following areas:
- Reviewing, analyzing and drafting organizational policies and procedures
- Representing for guardianship and power of attorney matters
- Participating as counsel on organizational committees and groups including peer-review, quality assurance, risk analysis, staff discipline and medical ethics
- Analyzing and counseling on legal issues related to patient care, licensing and certification as well as general liability matters
- Representing medical and non-medical staff for depositions, hearing testimony and trial testimony in Wisconsin and Federal courts
- On request we are happy to offer “24/7” daily access to our attorneys for advice on and representing in emergency legal proceedings, such as petitioning for court ordered medical care and emergency medical holds
The attorneys at the Corneille Law Group make themselves available for presentations to medical staff and general staff on topics including medical litigation, licensing proceedings, risk management and related issues. Our presentations provide not only a unique educational experience for your staff, but can be part of grand rounds, approved professional educational credits and insurance risk-reduction programs.